If you’ve already decided on hiring professional movers and you’ve already agreed on the rate, there is still one minor thing to consider. Is it necessary to give a gratuity to your moving team? And if so, how much to tip movers? The short answer to this question is that the decision to tip movers is really up to you. While tipping for a job well done is sure to be a welcome gesture, tipping is entirely optional and is not required under any circumstances.
Fallon Moving & Storage has provided top-quality, comprehensive moving and storage solutions for our clients in the United States. Over the years, we’ve been asked this question plenty of times. When you hire Fallon Moving & Storage, you can be sure that our team of professionals is getting paid fairly. However, you can always give a little extra as a token of appreciation for excellent service. In this article, we’ll share our advice for tipping movers and what you can do to show your appreciation for the hard work and dedication of your moving team.
When to Tip Movers
As mentioned earlier, giving tips is not required, so you shouldn’t feel obligated to spend extra. If you do decide to tip and have no idea when most appropriate to tip your professional movers, check out the following circumstances:
- The team was able to finish the job faster than expected.
- The team was polite, courteous, friendly, and accommodating to requests.
- Everyone starting from the coordinator or moving consultant, down to the movers and drivers showcase utmost professionalism and expertise.
- The job involves moving plenty of heavy or sensitive items and/or climbing stairs, walking through narrow hallways or challenging pathways, or working under bad weather conditions.
- The professional movers were able to complete the job well, handling all your belongings with extra care and helping you address issues along the way.
How Much to Tip Movers
Many homeowners do not know how to tip a mover and what is the standard amount. While there is really no standard or benchmark for giving tips, a good amount is about $10 per mover for small jobs that get completed in half a day or $20 per mover for working the whole day. If you are a bit short in budget, you can give less. Meanwhile, if you have a lot of extra and you feel that they deserve more, you can definitely give a higher tip.
Alternatives to Giving Tips
If you aren’t able to tip your movers, that’s perfectly understandable. There are still plenty of ways to show that you are grateful for their hard work. Below are some of the best ways:
- Feed Them: Buy them lunch and snacks, as doing the heavy lifting can be really exhausting and they will surely get hungry. If you do decide to buy them food, make sure it’s light, healthy fares—like sub sandwiches or salads—as heavy, greasy food like pizza might weigh them down in the middle of the workday.
- Ice Cold Drinks: Water, energy drinks, and other types of refreshing beverages can keep them energized. Whatever drinks you serve, make sure they’re cold or iced for a more refreshing break.
- Set Up a Break Room: They will surely appreciate if you set up a cool place for them to rest. Don’t forget to place a fan or a heater to keep the break room in good temperature, depending on the season.
- Provide Positive Feedback. Aside from thanking them personally, it would be great if you leave a positive review on their website or consumer review sites. If you’re not able to tip them, you can help them out by getting them more clients.
Your Most Trusted Moving Company
If you are looking for the most reputable moving and storage companies in the US, check out Fallon Moving & Storage. With our team of CT movers, moving consultants, and drivers, we manage to provide exceptional residential, commercial, and specialized moving and storage services within the United States and internationally. From packing down to the unloading and placement of your belongings into your new home, our professional movers can assist you.
To learn more about how we can help you, call or email us today. Alternatively, you may fill out this quick online form to schedule a free and accurate in-home estimate and consultation with one of our representatives.